- LOVE has many interpretations as described by Wikipedia. These include lust, very strong personal love (love for a single person) and can also be a virtue representing human kindness, compassion, and affection. In most religions I believe that it is too stifling and subjugating to the extent that true LOVE demands faith in a God to sort the good from the bad and that the God will sort it all out for you. With LOVE there is always the overriding implication and acceptance of AFFECTION.
- Affection is the least desirable attribute that can be associated with RESPECT because the expectation of affection destroys the whole purpose of The Code. There is no reason for me to have any affection for a person to whom I am expected to show respect. In fact if I really, truly hated the person it is still essential that I respect their right to exist and have there own opinions, attitudes and behaviour patterns WHETHER I AGREE WITH THOSE OR NOT !!
- Respect is specific to the extent that it is described by Carl Rogers as “The central hypothesis of this approach can be briefly stated. It is that the individual has within him or her self vast resources for self-understanding, for altering her or his self-concept, attitudes, and self-directed behavior—and that these resources can be tapped if only a definable climate of facilitative psychological attitudes can be provided.” This does focus the definition as a psychological tool but in the context of The Code it does identify RESPECT as an ability which each and every human is capable of applying. The Code can provide this facilitative psychological attitude !
- Respect must be based on empathy rather than sympathy. Love relies on sympathy more than empathy.
- The Code demands that ALL must be respected. This includes ALL the dynamics described in RESPONSIBILITY as the 2nd part of The Code.